Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Metering

Based on the title, you might think I'm about to complain about parking meters. But no - in ski country, metering is when they stop traffic altogether so that the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnel doesn't have cars stuck in it. This equates to a hour long wait at the clunnel (cluster f tunnel) and ultimately 8 hours of driving for 4 hours of skiing at Beaver Creek. CDOT has of course taken a lot of heat for this, but I do understand their argument that you can't let traffic sit in a tunnel that's over a mile long. In case of an accident, emergency crews need to be able to pass. However, what I don't appreciate is CDOT's response about how the tunnel saves me 9 miles of driving. Wow, thanks for saving me 9 miles! I'd rather drive 25 extra miles and be in the car 2 hours less. They've metered traffic at the clunnel for 15 years now, but it appears they've had to do it more often lately. A lot of people have made suggestions to the obvious ski traffic problem. Most notable is a monorail. Another is ticketing people who drive too slow - obviously this person doesn't understand how traffic works. A state rep even proposed a bill to impose a toll on I-70 during peak travel times. Here's my solution - all you that ski/board like an a-hole anyhow, stay the f home and out of my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment